Falling Slinky Model Documents
This material has 2 associated documents. Select a document title to view a document's information.
The Falling Slinky model approximates a slinky using twenty masses connected with light springs. The slinky is suspended from one end and released. Two actions will occur simultaneously when it is released hanging at rest from its equilibrium position - it will fall and it will collapse. What happens to the bottom when it begins its fall?
- The bottom end will move up initially.
- The bottom end will move down initially.
- The bottom end will remain at the same point for a short time before it begins to move.
- Download ejs_mech_newton_law_FallingSlinky.jar - 1362kb Java Archive File
Last Modified June 6, 2014
This file has previous versions.
Source Code Documents
The source code zip archive contains an XML representation of the Falling Slinky model. Unzip this archive in your EJS workspace to compile and run this model using EJS.
- Download ejs_mech_newton_FallingSlinky.zip - 8kb Compressed File
Last Modified September 1, 2009